Skip to content

Memorial Day Weekend

May 26, 2009


Wow! What an AWESOME weekend! I hope all of you enjoyed your holiday weekend as much as I did!

Our weekend started a little early actually. Paula had some comp time coming to her from work so she only worked a half day on Thursday and she has every Friday off so our weekend really started Thursday afternoon. Paula was tired when she got home from work and I was as well so we both took a nice long nap which was quite nice. After our nap, we cooked dinner and then it was off to my son’s baseball game. My son’s team ended up winning the game and remaining undefeated so far this season.

Friday morning I woke up nice and early to get my oldest son to a doctor’s appointment. This little fiasco could be a post in itself but I will share the concise version. His appointment was at 8:20am and it’s about a 30 minute or so drive in morning traffic. We have never been to this office before and had a really hard time finding it. In fact, we had so hard of a time that we still haven’t found it. I have to call and reschedule the appointment this morning and maybe get some good directions. LOL After driving around for about an hour and a half, I gave up and just took my son to school. I don’t think he minded the time off to tell the truth. I went straight home after dropping him off at school and went back to bed. I had a hard time sleeping the night before and was REALLY tired. It was nice to be able to do so for sure. After I woke up, I hopped in the car and drove to the tanning salon to bake tan my fan in the tanning bed for 15 minutes. After baking tanning, I rushed home and ate some leftovers from last night’s dinner and then it was off to another of my son’s baseball games. They won this game as well and still remain undefeated for the season so far.

Saturday morning I woke up nice and early, had some coffee and then it was off to coach my youngest son’s t-ball game. We only live a couple blocks from the field which is really nice. He did very well but we need to learn to spend a little less time playing in the dirt and a little more time watching the ball. LOL After the game, we came home and picked up Paula and rushed off to a local farmer’s market. It was my first time there and thought it was really cool. There were plenty of fresh fruits, vegetables, plants, herbs, cakes and different vendors to choose from. There was really a little bit of everything there. Paula enjoyed a funnel cake while we were there and Logan enjoyed some flavored ice. I ended up with 3 very nice scented candles! YES, I am a man and YES I LIKE scented candles. DEAL WITH IT! LOL After the farmer’s market, we went to the grocery store and got some burgers and brats for grilling. We took our food home and I fired up the grill. I made some delicious burgers seasoned with salt, black pepper, garlic powder and oregano. They were delish! After dinner, Paula and I left our youngest son with one of our older boys who needs money. He needs money and we need a babysitter so it works out quite nicely. Paula and I went to the ballpark and caught a semi pro baseball game. As you all know, I LOOOOOVE the ballpark and baseball!

Sunday morning we woke up and relaxed a bit. I enjoyed drinking my coffee out in the back yard and watching Logan play on his swing set while the dog ran around. In the afternoon, Paula and I took Logan to a Memorial Day parade. There were lots of clowns, horses, tractors, fire trucks, floats, beauty pageant winners, politicians and candy being slung out to all the kids. Logan ended up with a pretty full plastic sack of candy which made his day. After the parade, we went home and got our dog Brody. We all went down to the river walk and walked for a while and enjoyed the beautiful weather. We found out that Brody doesn’t care much for jet skis. He likes to bark and growl at them for some unknown reason. After our walk along the Mississippi River, we returned home and I cooked us some brats on the grill. They were DELISH!! After dinner and a cup of coffee, it was off to our resort to visit with some friends that were camping there this weekend. We visited and chatted with them for a bit and the camping bug REALLY hit me while I was there. I’m so ready to camp now I can hardly stand it.

Monday was spent just relaxing. Monday was a rainy and cooler day for us so we just stayed home and relaxed. Paula and I curled up on the couch and watched “Bedtime Stories” with Logan in the afternoon. Paula worked a little on a side job she is doing and I fiddled around in the garage with the battery from our camper making sure it is charged and ready for use. We had fun making tacos together and later watching the Cubs game.

The weather here over the weekend was ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!! Except for Monday, the sun was shining and the temps were in the low to mid 80’s. You really couldn’t ask for better weather for the kickoff of summer!!

So what did you do over the holiday weekend? I’d love to hear!

11 Comments leave one →
  1. May 26, 2009 7:35 AM

    Congratulations to your sons and their teams! Sounds like you’ve got the makings of your own major league club there. Glad you guys had a great time.

    We had a nice time meeting with family and friends, grilling and generally hanging out. Monday started out in the pool and then a brief hail storm followed by torrential rain led to the girls dancing in the rain. Great fun!

    • May 26, 2009 5:26 PM

      Thanks Era! Both of our ball players are doing great this year! If we had just a few more kids, we could have our very own baseball team. 😉

      Sounds like you had a good weekend as well. Good for you guys!! 😀

  2. May 26, 2009 7:55 AM

    well we had a hoopla of a time… friday was spent running errands and sitting at yet another temp office taking a 2 hour clerical test …I know you are excited right?

    saturday — more errands and a therapy session between my daughter and I about what to do with her bitch of a supervisor. Me beating the shit out of her because she’s my age was mentioned…along with I really am not crazy about the whole jail thing. Maybe we’d try something else first…that’s when slashing her tires came into the conversation…but that led to the jail talk again. (you see how this one ended right?)

    …sunday went to small group. That’s my social 2 hours and also the time I get to just sit and watch the fake people. They are so entertaining.

    oohhh and then for added fun we power washed the twister magnet and then had so much fun doing that we went up and did my moms. BUT that did give me a chance to try out the olive oil spray to keep the gnats at bay and I’m happy to report it did seem to work. The gnats would still try to get me but then like almost to me they’d stop and be like “WTF?” It was kind of funny.

    …yesterday went to wallyworld for a real quick trip and was actually able to get in and out quick. Yay for holidays! Then to my MIL’s for dinner prepared by 2 of my SIL’s…so it was good. Actually made it through a meal without much fighting going on …but the one niece has like 4 kids and they are too damn loud and just grate my nerves so we stayed for a little bit after lunch and me, the son and his cousin came back here. Husband went to a birthday party for a friend which I chose not to attend due to already have been around too much noise for one day. So I sat here and let the son and cousin entertain me with their goofiness that 17 year old boys have.

    I think that’s about it. WHOOPIE right?

  3. S. Le permalink
    May 26, 2009 8:53 AM

    This was like reading a novella! lol

    Happy you had such a nice holiday weekend. I did as well but part of it was spent working around here but it needed doing and at least I didn’t have to get dressed up and go to Library. I had 4 days off IN A ROW!! It was brilliant! I did a lot of grilling and cooking as well capping off the weekend with BBQ ribs. Yum… I’m going to try seasoning burgers the way you did. I usually use Worchestershire, seasoned salt, and black pepper on mine.

  4. May 26, 2009 9:52 AM

    Gary, you celebrated in style! Good job! You had awesome events and family time, like no other! It should be like that always, huh? Well, you can read about my weekend at my blog. It was the best! Hope you have an eventful week! 🙂

  5. May 26, 2009 9:58 AM

    Well it sounds like you had a wonderful Memorial weekend!! GREAT READ!
    Friday we played cards, I didn’t win! 😦 Saturday morning we got up and went to the junk yard…YAY! The boys love it but I thought it was weird, like a cemetery for cars! Then off to the in laws, I helped Ma get food ready then off to the boat we went. We were out for a couple hours, it was nice. Kids had a blast! After we left there, we went home and ate, then went across the street so the boys could fish and relaxed on the beach. Right before sunset Jason and I went for a drive. He has a new lil 2 seater Fiero and it’s fun to go just the 2 of us! It’s become our new things to do. 🙂 Sunday morning I was supposed to pack but decided to go with the boys fishing. We went to a great park and brought my niece along. While the boys fished Emily and I played at the park and in the sand and walked on some beautiful paths. I have pictures but Facebook won’t let me upload! 😦 We were out fishing all day Sunday. Monday same thing, boys fished and I relaxed by the shore! It was a weekend full of relaxing and it was much needed and very appreciated! Although I’m kicking my butt now because we move in 9 days and I have now 4 boxes packed!

  6. May 26, 2009 10:46 AM

    Saturday we watched the Indy 500 and pigged out on junk food. The rest of the weekend we swam at our neighborhood pool in between thunderstorms.

  7. May 26, 2009 11:21 AM

    I’m so glad you had such a great weekend Gary. A great Memorial Day. Just what it’s supposed to be like. Fun and relaxing.

    We boated on Sat like Nikki mentioned. The sun was out but I do have to say, we got chilled but I love going on the boat with all of us more than I can say. The kids have so much fun. My header right now is a pic of them fooling around.

    Sun and Mon Paul and I actually got a lot accomplished in the yard and I have a lot of flowers to get planted in their pots today. I’m getting very frustrated with the “greenhouses” I’ve been to. Nobody knows how to keep flowers alive until people can get them in their gardens. If my father in law was alive, he’d cry seeing the shape of some of the ones I saw this weekend. PITIFUL! Anyway, most of them just needed a good drink so I did buy some and I got a WONDERFUL yellow Hibiscus that I’m totally in love with. I’m sure I’ll take pics of it at some point. It’s been years since I’ve had one of those.

    Yippee for all of us. It sounds like a good time was had by all. UNTIL you threw your dirty underwear at me Sunday night!!!!!!!! REALLY!!!

    • May 26, 2009 8:43 PM

      I thought you enjoyed my dirty underwear. 😉

  8. May 26, 2009 12:02 PM

    Sounds like your Family had a wonderful Weekend. I’m glad Paula had some extra time off, how nice. And it’s nice you took time off from blogging and twitter although I must admit I missed seeing your shinning face a missed reading your antics on your Blog. We are spoiled with all the hard work that people put into their blogs. Wanted to give a note of appreciation. Sounds like your weekend really went just right lots of fun and R and R just what is intended. The scented candle thing doesn’t surprise me at all, stand tall, real men like scented candles. LOL May you have many weekends just like the last one.

  9. Sue permalink
    May 26, 2009 4:37 PM

    Friday we took the kids to “Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian”. It was AWESOME! Great movie, we laughed the whole time. If you haven’t seen it yet, you should. I would recommend seeing the first one though since they use the same characters. Saturday was spent on the boat. That was fun. Sunny but chilly. After we helped unpack and put away the food, Toby stole some pork chops and he grilled those up for supper. YUM YUM! Then, we had a little bonfire for the kids and had smores and grandma, grandpa and the other grandpa and Uncle Tom came over. We complained about the neighbors, but had a good time anyway! Sunday, Toby mowed the lawn while I tried to clean the house and get laundry done. In the afternoon the kids and I had our hair cut (gotta love having a neighbor hairdresser!) and after supper I went golfing with Toby while my parents took the kids to my sister’s to play. They didn’t get home until 10:20pm! That is way too late for my kids! Monday I was on call. Toby and the kids came down in the afternoon and that pretty much wore me out! Is it Friday yet?!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: